Wednesday 30 October 2013

Pumpkin Spice Latte {Happy Halloween}


With only one day to go until the end of October I am cutting this pumpkin post really rather fine cos ya know I hear it's unacceptable to post pumpkin after October... who knew? But still, in case you missed all the witches (where the 'eck does the apostrophe go in that word, it's 8am - too early for grammar) hats in Tesco, it is Halloween tomorrow so onwards and upwards with a pumpkin spiced latte. Dunno about y'all but I am really feeling this crappy British weather ugh SO full of cold and I have an exam tomorrow boohooooo (hence the rubbish non existing post schedule I've got going on - I am six weeks into my second year of uni and have had FOUR exams. FOUR.)



I can't even pretend that the two spooky-ish photos in this very small 'set' were intentional, I was having a nightmare with lighting and it took a while to realise I could work it to my advantage but I think the dark photos look pretty groovy and Halloween-y yey. 


Pumpkin spice lattes are on every food/baking blog at this time of year so I'm sure you are all sick to death of them by now but I still insisted on making and posting one of these delicious drinks for the following reasons:
1. I tried one in Starbucks (I know, I know boo hiss why did you even go in to the tax-avoiding establishment Kate you terrible person?) and it was crap. No other word for it, it tasted like every other flavoured coffee in the chain, if I was to do a blind taste test it could quite easily be a ginger bread latte. Someone tell me where my extra 50p went.
2. Due to 1. I wanted to make one that, god forbid, actually tasted like pumpkin. Dunno about you but I'd deem that to be a prerequisite for a pumpkin spiced latte ;)
3. Lidl was selling these super cute seasonal squashes for next to nowt and super cute squash = perfect food prop.
4. It's October - who doesn't want to see ten thousand pumpkin spice lattes in their bloglovin' feed? Just looking at one makes me feel all autumnal and cosy.


Also if anyone has any cracking suggestions for a costume I could wear to a 'monsters of the deep' themed Halloween party tomorrow night  that would be spectacular.

Ingredients


1 cup water
1 cup white granulated sugar
2 - 3 tbsp pumpkin puree
2 tsp pumpkin pie spice:
   1 tsp cinnamon
   1/3 tsp ginger
   1/3 tsp nutmeg
   1/6 tsp allspice
   1/6 tsp cloves
(or 2 tsp mixed spice if you are lacking and/or lazy, I have tried both just mixed spice is still delish)

Directions


Put the water and sugar in a pan and heat on a medium temperature until the sugar has dissolved. Add the spices and pumpkin puree, bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes until the mixture has thickened up to a syrupy consistency. Leave to cool completely before pouring into an airtight jar or container. Can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 weeks. To make the latte add 2 - 3 tsp (depending on your sweet tooth) of syrup to your fave mug, 1 tsp or so of coffee (again to taste), a little warmed milk to stir the coffee and syrup into a paste, then fill the mug up with warm milk, squirt on mounds of cream and finally top with a sprinkling of cinnamon/nutmeg or a drizzle of pumpkin spice syrup. Short and sweet instructions eh? :) Oh and obviously serve, share, DRINK and enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

See more