Sunday 22 September 2013

Fig and Ginger Frangipane Tart



So I have a really delicious granola bar recipe for y'all that when I developed I scribbled down on a piece of totally nondescript paper. It has since been lost erm.. misplaced during the move back to Liverpool. This is something I am very sad about so I am desperately trying to find it come on Kate IF YOU WERE A RECIPE WHERE WOULD YOU BE.  Probably back in my parents' tidy kitchen.


In the mean time I have this corker of a fig and ginger frangipane tart for you. Doesn't it look all seasonal and - dare i say it - rustic and lovely?! This tart pretty much screams AUTUMN.  The warming ginger frangipane really compliments the subtle flavour of the figs.



I know this is my second fig post in a row but THEY ARE 19 PENCE EACH IN LIDL SCOREEEEEE. My next post is fig-free I promise. But for the time being IT IS FIG SEASON SO FIG LOVERS REJOICE (I say that like I am part of the fig-lovers society or something I'm not I only discovered I even liked them last week so really i am a bit of a fig phoney)



Regardless, when you pair them with ginger in an oblong frangipane tart they are pretty dece.



I have an inkling that a layer of fig jam under the frangipane would be incredible.

 

Ingredients



For the pastry base


60 g all purpose flour
40 g wholewheat spelt flour (or more all purpose flour)
2 heaped tbsp porridge oats
2 heaped tbsp icing sugar
1/2 tsp ground ginger
80 g unsalted butter
1 medium free-range egg yolk (save the white for frangipane)

For the ginger frangipane


50 g unsalted butter
70 g granulated sugar
2 medium free-range eggs (plus white from above)
80 g ground almonds
40 g all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp ground ginger

4 - 6 figs sliced thinly to layer on top

Optional addition for a 'figgier' tart - 200 g fig jam

Directions


1. Pre heat oven to 180 degrees C. To make the pastry base combine the flour, oats, icing sugar and ginger in a bowl. Work in the butter with your fingers until you have a crumbly mixture then add the egg yolk (remember to save the white) and mix in with a wooden spoon until the dough comes together as one smooth ball. Press this dough into a rectangular 14 x 5 inch tart tin with a loose base. If you are adding the fig jam now is the time to spread it liberally over the pastry base.
2. To make the ginger frangipane cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the two eggs and the white saved from step 1 then stir in the ground almonds, flour, baking powder and ground ginger. Pour this frangipane mixture on top of the fig jam layer or straight into the pastry case if you are omitting the jam.
3. Thinly slice 4 - 6 figs and layer them up on top of the frangipane. Bake the tart for about 35 minutes until the crust starts to brown and the figs are slightly shriveled.
4. Serve, share, eat and ENJOY :)

12 comments:

  1. I LOVE the photos and the fig tart was delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lyd! I'm glad you think so I was so unsure about these photos but too impatient (and greedy) to reshoot!! :D

      Delete
  2. Maravilloso tu bizcocho con higos y fotos preciosas!!!.
    Un saludo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kate, this looks SO good! I found you via the Google Baking community and am a bit in love with your blog :) Can't wait to explore more!

    Amy | Club Narwhal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amy!!! What a lovely comment to read after 9 - 5 in the laboratory boooo! haha
      I am so glad you commented because that meant I got to explore your blog and it is FABULOUS! Travel + food + books = perfection!!

      Delete
  4. I too just found you on the Google+ baking community. This fig tart caught my eye. Your blog is beautiful... I'm going to bookmark you! Hi, I'm Cindy. You can find me at DecisiveCook.com and on Google+.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cindy! Thank you so much for the lovely comment! :D Ooooh thanks for letting me know I shall have a gander!

      Delete
  5. I love figs and this is such a great way to use them I am drooling right now at your lovely pictures :) Great recipe Kate :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emma!! :D I have one lonely fig left no idea what to do with that little guy!!

      Delete
  6. Your fig tart looks so enticing! There can never be too many posts about figs. I absolutely love them. I tried 3 different fig recipes in September, which I should be posting about very soon. I've never paired figs with ginger but perhaps I should give it a try. Now, I think you're right about the layer of fig jam under the frangipane; and because I couldn't get any fig jam, I decided to make my own and intend to put it to good use on a special fig occasion coming up in December.
    Also, since you like Ghana so much, you may be interested in a book that has come out recently, 'Ghana Must Go', by Taiye Selasi, who is of Nigerian and Ghanaian origin. I'm still reading it but I think it's extremely interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! What an exciting comment to read!!
      I'm glad you agree with the fig jam, I couldn't get hold of any either and I didn't have the time to make the jam :(
      I'm glad you are finding Ghana Must Go interesting!! I have been eyeing it up since it came out but it was a little too expensive in hard back! Luckily my birthday is around the time it will be released in paperback so it's on my list :D
      Thank you again for commenting I really do appreciate it!!

      Delete

See more