Wednesday 17 April 2013

Giant Double Chocolate Sandwich Biscuits

I crave biscuits often and chocolate all the time even more often and on a student budget it is very difficult to find an affordable satisfyingly yummy chocolate biscuit... OK who am I kidding Aldi's dark chocolate digestives and Lidl's bourbon biscuits are perfectly yummy enough to gobble down nine at a time, I just wanted an excuse to create the biggest yummiest chocolate biscuits I could think of after 5 hours of data analysis (a uni assignment, fingers crossed!). I plonked myself down to watch the Great British Sewing Bee with a cup of tea and one of these bad boys within half an hour of taking the dust cover off my stand mixer. Yes I could have plonked myself down sooner had I simply taken the lid off the biscuit tin, but truth be told these homemade biscuits ARE much more satisfying than the aforementioned budget buys - not to mention significantly larger! (ENORMOUS)



Ingredients

For the biscuits:
6 oz self raising flour
3 oz unsalted butter
3 oz sugar
3 tbsp cocoa powder4 tbsp milk

For the white filling:

2/3 cup icing sugar
1 oz white chocolate
1 oz unsalted butter

For the brown filling:
2/3 cup icing sugar
1 oz plain chocolate
1 oz unsalted butter

Makes approx. 8 sandwich biscuits (or 16 single biscuits)

Directions

Pre heat oven to 160 degrees C and line a baking tray. Cream together butter and sugar until smooth and fluffy then gradually mix in the flour and cocoa powder adding the milk as and when needed to form a rollable dough.

I recently purchased these wonderful biscuit moulds from Lakeland (another reason I was eager to make a batch of these biscuits!), they make the most adorable biscuits, although I do think a slightly runnier dough would help 'COOKIE' to stand out more as it may be easier to get the mixture to fill the tiny little letter part of the mould - I shall let you know as soon as I try!


I divided my dough evenly between the moulds and pressed it in firstly using my fingers then finishing off with the flat end of a rolling pin to obtain a smoother surface.


If you have not got yourself down to Lakeland to purchase these wonderful little inventions (or couldn't care less what the cookie looks like as long as it melts in your mouth and shuts noisy household members up long enough to enjoy a cuppa in peace and quiet) take a cookie cutter with a 3" diameter and roll the dough out to so it is 1/4" thick.


Cut approximately 16 circles from the dough and place on a pre-lined baking sheet. Bake for 15 - 20 minute until the cookies become a rich chocolatey colour.


Leave the biscuits to cool completely before icing and storing as putting warm biscuits in a tin causes them to become soggy once cooled.

To make the white filling zap 1 oz of white chocolate in the microwave for 20 seconds twice (3 times if necessary), giving the chocolate a little stir in between each zap. Now I know I am stating the obvious here but remember to use a microwaveable bowl! Not too long ago I stupidly melted chocolate in one of those plastic bowls intended for outdoor/picnic use and wondered what was going on when my microwave started producing smoke and a smell to banish your appetite! Anyway, add the butter to the melted white chocolate then add the icing sugar and mix until a smooth paste forms - It should be the consistency of fresh cement (sorry for using such an unappetising analogy!). Do the same with the dark chocolate and plaster 1/4 of the biscuits with the white filling, 1/4 with the brown - be very generous here the more filling the better (and bigger) the sandwich biscuit! - and pop the remaining half of the biscuits on top of the filling. Voila! Giant double chocolate sandwich biscuits - Enjoy :)




P.S. what do you wonderful people think of my blog's new look?!

No comments:

Post a Comment

See more